GROWING WITH MATHEMATICS - Elementary Math Program K-5

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Rules of the Blog

First and foremost

Please remember that this is a public website and anything you write will be visible to anybody who logs on. In my first post below, I have posted some "Netiquette" rules that I received from Pat Cooney.

Netiquette, or network etiquette, is the contemporary term for the proper way we communicate and interact with each other using email or over the Internet. Over the years with the advent of email in educational settings, communication with parents and colleagues has become very efficient and most of the time highly effective. Simultaneously concerns with security, confidentiality, and privacy have now made it essential that all of us observe general guidelines of “netiquette” when corresponding via email or the internet.

The Phenomenon of Flaming

The expression of extreme emotion or opinion in an email message is referred to as flaming. The misinterpretation of the content of an email message, plus the likelihood that the recipient will“Fire off a hasty response” can often exacerbate a situation. Impulsive email responses can create a negative impact on relationships among colleagues and parents. Even with the best of intentions, mistakes and misunderstandings can and do occur when corresponding via the internet.

In order to keep our messages professional, consider following the list of general guidelines below.
1. Do not capitalize whole words that are not titles. Capitalizing is generally interpreted as SHOUTING to your reader.
2. Always use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
3. Separate opinions from facts. Keeping the focus on facts promotes clear understanding of your communication.
4. Watch the "post" button. Remember messages "posted" become permanent.
5. Never insult or criticize via the blog. Please keep the tone professional.
6. Resist the temptation to “fire off” a response.
7. Read the original message again. Be sure you are not misinterpreting the message of the sender.
8. Always Reread your posts before sending.

I hope that this can become a positive place where colleagues come to share or "think critically" about the Second Grade Growing with Math program.

2 comments:

shelley anderton said...

I found the rules of the Blog very helpful. This is all new to me and I feel more comfortable to have guidelines to follow. I am excited to have such a wonderful way to communicate with colleagues. I know that I will gain wonderful insights and useful information to help me best use this new program.

Aileen Howards said...

Reading about "netiquette" in this blog course is very meaningful for me. I tend to use capitalization for emphasis, but now realize people will construe it as shouting. I look forward to reading blogs from other teachers in the future, to enhance my lessons.